Bug report. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 17:33 (3246 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 18:26

The real problem with the new content has to do with mastery.

It's very satisfying to take a problem or task, figure it out, get better at it, and end up having mastered it. Starting from something seemingly impossible, and ending up accomplished is a great feeling. Previous challenges had a lot of that. I don't think the major barrier to the Vault of Glass was ever you gear or level. Provided you were at level, you could do the raid if you prepared and knew your shit. The hard part was the strategy, and the fun part was coming up with something that would allow you to win. You could get better at the Vault without ever gaining a level or getting a new weapon.

Part of why I think people started to complain about the Crota hard mode raid is that having a level disadvantage is something that can't be overcome through pure mastery. No matter how much you practice, or strategize, that penalty to damage dealt and increase to damage received never goes away. You pretty much needed to get good gear to do it on hard. Mastery is not what you have, it's what you know.

Prison of Elders I feel has no room for mastery. Especially with the mine rounds, there is no structure or order to the fights; it's all just random. It comes down to running at the mines, and hoping you don't get shot, since they appear so quickly you can't possibly take out all the enemies before you have to start with them. Plus, their locations are not in a set order. How often do you find yourself simply running around, be it to a mine, or to escape the enemy, and just hope you don't get shot? That happens a lot in PoE. Not so much in a raid.

So you have these chaotic fights PLUS a level disadvantage, and I simply don't feel like I can ever truly improve at this without either leveling up, or getting better gear. There is a sense of accomplishment in finishing PoE 35, but not a sense that you feel that you could improve your skills and do it better the next time.

I can feel my self agreeing with certain elements of this post. ._. I... I...
Oh geez. >_<

I can't even words.

Edit: I found words!

Prison of Elders has elements of a raid in it, but it plays like a strike. It is heavily based on an very obvious formula. The same can be said about raids as they currently exist, with the difference being that raids seem to give more room for experimentation.

I think that's the collective issue observed - the ability to experiment in a PvE style
event. No.. I didn't take this idea from that essay I'm writing. Probably. >_>

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread